Winning Student Composition to Be Played in Sanders

Work for Piano and Orchestra By Van Slyck Chosen Best

"Variations for Piano and Orchestra" by Nicholas Van Slyck 1G will be the featured composition at the Pierian Sodality concert on April 23 in Sanders Theater as the winner of the orchestra's competition for student musical works. Van Slyck, student of Walter Piston, will have another of his works introduced by the Boston Civic Orchestra within a week of the first concert.

The competition, which the Pierian hopes to make a tradition in future years, began a few months ago and just ended with the selection of Van Slyck's work.

Noel D. Lee '46, well known student pianist, will be the soloist in the performance when the Pierian under Malcolm H. Holmes gives the premiere of the piece. The concert will also feature Phyllis Botner, Radcliffe '05, who plays the harp in Vaughn Williams's "Five Variants on Dives and Lazarus."

Simultaneously the Pierian announced the election of its officers for the term: Julian B. Hatton, Jr. '48--President, Warren G. Guntheroth '49--Vice President, Mitchell B. Sharmat '48--Secretary, Albert H. Cline '49--Treasurer, Edmund R. Helffrich '49--Manager, and David R. Bassett '49--Assistant Manager.

Future concerts of the Pierian will be at the Tedesco Country Club in Swampscott on March 23 and at Colby Junior College on April 19, as the orchestra intensified its rehearsals by playing at least one piece by sight reading.