Gorman's Quarter Mile Swimming Gives Crimson Intercollegiate Win

By Richard W. Wallach .

Even the golden robed Princeton swimmers joined in the swell of cheers for Jerry Gorman of the Crimson last Saturday night in the New Haven pool as he led in the pack of Intercollegiate quarter milers to prevent Yale from registering a first in every freestyle event.

Taking runner-up Bob Reid of Williams and Jim Hasset of the Blue in 4:59.1, Gorman also had the distinction of being the only Ivy Leaguer to finish in the leading slot of the Eastern Circuit except, of course, for the omnipotent Yale.

Kiphuth's lads were the dominant element of a two-day water fest, proving hardly a gracious host to the many visiting aggregations. In the Friday night finals they took first and second in the 50-yard freestyle and the 150-yard back-stroke, and the first four notches in the 220-yard freestyle.

Repeat Performance Saturday

To avoid anti-climax, perhaps, the New Haven gentry came up on Saturday night with the first four places in the 100-yard freestyle, and the crown in the 400-yard relay. Their loss of the 440 was nettling, but not at all crucial.

Sole man to qualify for final action among the Crimson roster was Gorman. Three of the locals were nosed out by one position on Saturday: Chuck Hoelzer in the 200-yard breast stroke, Forbes Norris in the 440 free. and Bob Aaron in the 3-meter dive. Tom Drohan took eighth in this latter event, right behind his co-entrant.

Outstanding feature of the meet was a new world's record, clocked on 21-year-old Joe Verdeur of Lasalle College. The Philadelphia Freshman made the 200-yard breast stroke in 2:16.4.