Danger in the Air

Symptomatic of the times was the announcement a few days ago by the able radio commentator, William L. Shirer, that he was being replaced on his Sunday news program. Shirer, charging that he was being "gagged" because of his liberal views, has brought a most serious accusation before the nation. If his statement may be accepted as true, his case is the latest in the postwar attempt to mould American public opinion into a safe right-of-center form.

Aside from that involved in his charges, only one reason could be a legitimate basis for the dropping of Shirer by his sponsor or the Columbia Broadcasting System. The action would be justified if his listening audience were insufficient to warrant his continuance. But this fact does not enter into the picture, inasmuch as his latest Hooper rating was the highest of any CBS program during the Sunday day-time schedule. If, therefore, it can be assumed that any commercial motive for Shirer's dismissal was ruled out, the only possible reason is the one in his accusation: the sponsor did not like his viewpoint. It is no consolation for Shirer to know that he has thus joined a growing list of radio analysts similarly silenced in the past year.

The responsibility for this curb on free expression in radio rests as squarely on the network which tolerates it as on the sponsor. CBS claims it is not unusual for a show to be dropped by a commercial sponsor. This comes from a network whose president not many months ago brandished an accusing finger at American broadcasters for permitting advertising excesses and thereby contributing to "bad radio." Yet, I'affaire Shirer--the most dangerous form of advertising excess--is excused in an offhand manner by that same radio chain.

As long as effective free speech in radio depends on the whims and political prejudices of soap manufacturers, the most influential media for influencing public opinion can be as rigidly controlled as a state radio monopoly. And at a time when America's moral position throughout the world is to rest on a defense of civil liberties, shortsighted actions of the type involving Shirer cannot be designed to strengthen that position.