Five Pummels Lion Team by 66-50 Margin

Quintet Smashes Columbia Ivy League Unbeaten Streak in Game Here Saturday Night

By Irvin M. Horowitz

In the most prolific exhibition of skill and determination any Varsity athletic unit has displayed since Dick Harlow's eleven vanquished Holy Cross last October, the Crimson basketball team rose to unprecedented heights Saturday night, with a 66 to 50 pounding of Columbia that convincingly expunged the Lion's undefeated status in Ivy League competition.

All the good basketball that Coach Bill Barclay's squad had been storing up throughout an inconsistent season was released on the Indoor Athletic Building court. The Varsity not only displayed its best form of the season, but also demoralized a competent, well-drilled Columbia team, whose only recourse in the last six minutes of play was to abandon its defense almost completely and resort to flagrant personal fouls to prevent the Crimson from scoring.

Snerry Marshall Scores

After six-and-a-half minutes of action, during which the teams matched baskets, Columbia's diminutive Sherry Marshall dropped three lofty set shots that gave the Lions a convincing 18 to 8 lead. At this point the Varsity called time, and proceeded to embark on its most spectacular rally of the season.

George Hauptfuhrer and Captain Saul Mariaschin, who have carried the team's offensive burden almost exclusively, were primarily responsible for the Crimson's comeback in the first half. Hauptfuhrer found the range on overhead set shots, and Mariaschin not only dropped two amazing hook shots from the right hand corner, but retrieved almost every rebound from the Lion's backboard. Batting furiously, the Crimson captain and the Varsity center accounted for all but four of the team's 21 point spurt in the last 10 minutes of the first half, which ended with Harvard in front, 29 to 22.

Coach Forest Ridings sent his Lions back with a roar in the second half, and three quick baskets moved the visitors to a 29 to 28 deficit in the first 100 seconds. But the Varsity was not to be denied, and its upsurge it found, at last, some athletes who could share the scoring burden with Hauptfuhrer and Mariaschin. jack Clark, a substitute forward, took over Mariaschin's role as backboard retriever, and caged six of eight fouls, three in a row, to pace the second half drive.

G  F  PDavis, lf  3  1  7Clark  3  6  12Page, rf  2  1  5Henry  0  0  0Hauptfuhrer, c  7  1  15Mariaschin, lg  5  4  14Harford  2  1  5Brady, rg  2  2  6Gannon  0  2  2Totals  24  18  6