Food Relief Campaign Starts Today; All Officers, Students to Be 'Tapped'

$25,000 Goal Set for Drive; Contributions to Help Feed Students in Europe and Asia.

Two weeks of food relief publicity and official University cooperation will be climaxed today with the start of a week long campaign for funds toward a $25,000 goal.

From Cuba to Cambridge to a lonely Overseer in Juneau, Alaska, University officers and students will fell a slight tweak at their pocketbooks as over 100 solicitors, by mail and in person, begin collecting this evening.

World-Wide Distribution

Starving students at universities in Athens, Peiping, Vienna, and Warsaw, and the Salzburg Students Rest Center will benefit from the donations, completing the world-wide chain from contribution to distribution.

At the dunning end all this week is the University's Food Relief Committee, headed by Richard D. Campbell, Jr. '48, with deliveries to be handled by the World Student Service Fund, agents for international relief.

"Every man now affiliated with the University will be contacted," said Campbell last night, as he outlined the organization of solicitors. With almost 100 men working in the College alone, each entry will have its own shoulder-tapper, who reports to a House or dormitory captain. In addition, a collection desk will be maintained at Widener Library from 1:30 to 6 o'clock today through Friday.

Law School Aids

Outlying districts, such as the Law School and Business School, have their own networks for making a comprehensive approach, Campbell added, "At the Law School, for example," he said, "every professor will make an appeal in the classrooms Thursday morning, and booths at strategic locations will collect the pledges."

President Conant added his voice to the Committee's appeal to make the drive a success, citing the "desperate plight" of foreign students and the pride the University may feel for aiding them.