First Ballot Under New Constitution Elects Eight Men to Student Council

Kirkland Chooses Everingham, Leverett Swan; Lowell Picks McNulty, Winthrop Preston

Seven undergraduate Houses and Dudley Hall elected Student Council delegates in College-wide balloting completed last night. The election was the first conducted under the Council's new constitution, which provides for House representation.

Using the preferential ballot as authorized by the revised constitution, 2187 undergraduates elected the following men:

William L. Bruce '46 of Dunster House; Robert D. Cross '45 of Eliot; Robert A. Curley '46 of Dudley Hall and Dorchester; Joseph D. Everingham '49 of Kirkland House; Francis D. Fisher '47 of Adams House; John W. McNulty '48 of Lowell House; Jerome Preston, Jr. '44 of Winthrop House; and Thaxter Swan '45 of Leverett House.

Ballot Quirks

Under the new balloting system, three of the eight men were placed in office without acquiring the highest number of first place votes in their respective Houses. Progressive elimination of nominees with the lowest number of first place ballots and reallocation of these ballots according to the second place votes was continued until one candidate acquired a majority.

Through this procedure, William H. Bayliss '46 in Adams House, John N. Dakis '48 in Lowell House, and Henry M. Shine, Jr. '50 in Eliot House were eliminated although each recorded the highest first place ballot count in his House.

DRIVE AVERAGE HIGH

With 1800 out of 4000 House residents approached for contributions to European student relief, donations have been averaging $4.64, reports of the first two days of soliciting showed last night.

Results of Yard canvassing were not yet available, but discounting these the total collected comes to $8,201. Of this figure the College's share is $7000, with the extra $1200 coming from the faculty and graduate contributions that were mailed in early.

The first meeting of the new Council is scheduled for 8 o'clock tonight. Wilbur J. Bender '37, newly appointed Dean of the College, will address the group and new officers will be elected.

Early in their term of office the new Council members are expected to give consideration to the recommendations of retiring president Levin H. Campbell, 3rd '48, who urged Monday that the Council acquire a permanent paid secretary.