Tippecanoe and Ruppert's Too

Faced with a rash of frenzied campaigning for the coming Yard elections, the Student Council has recently decreed an end to the extravagant spending of well-heeled and politically wise candidates. The Council bases its decision on the supposition that any man handing out costly hoopla places the election on a plane far above the financial reaches of most students. Although a desire to squelch the inequalities of big-time campaigning is laudable, an action condemning any outlay of money for publicity tends to limit a candidate's acquaintance with the electorate and risks a decay of rising interest in the Council.

Specifically aimed at halting the spread of printed propaganda and the swift distribution of liquid encouragement to voters, the curt regulation draws too fine a line between distasteful electioneering and the honest efforts of candidates to get their ideas before the student body. In their attempt to keep election campaigns within reasonable bounds, the Committee faces the possibility of smothering all attempts at popularizing elections. Freshmen forced to rely on the dope sheets posted in the Union will find their knowledge of the candidates inadequate for intelligent voting. If the Council expects to capitalize on the current interest in extra-curricular affairs, it must do everything possible to encourage a close connection between candidate and voter. The problem before the Student Council is to do away with lavish beer parties and still preserve one of the few successful attempts to agitate the molasses that traditionally flavors Harvard politics.

Election campaigns are of unquestionable value and should not be discouraged by an overzealous attempt to even the financial gap between students. Instead of arbitrarily outlawing the expenditure of any money for election purposes, the Council might well institute a basic maximum of five dollars per candidate. By allowing aspirants the means to publish mimeographed statements of intent, the Committee can maintain its policy of forbidding unfair ballyhoo and still uphold one of the most vital factors for the continued renaissance of student activity.