Gov. 1b Most Popular with 882 Enrolled

Economics A Loses Fall Lead, Slipping to 669; History 5 Gains Third Ranking at 529

Despite a 9 o'clock meeting once a week, Government 1 has dethroned Economics A as king of undergraduate elective courses. The new enrollment leader boasts a following of 882 this spring, surpassing Ec A's 669, which is only two-thirds of its fall term 1,092 total.

History 5, pre-war baby of the survey courses and currently the fastest growing, has moved into third place in popularity, jumping from 449 to 529. Former perennial monarch, History 1, is now in fourth place with a 513 total, down from its 1933 heyday peak of 828 when College enrollment rarely topped 3500.

The only compulsory course in the catalogue, English A, as always, is the largest in the College, although its enrollment has dwindled from the 1,940 of last fall to 1,157. English A excepted, Gov 1 and Math A, fifth largest elective with 459, have the most Freshman students, with 385 and 314, respectively.

History Most Popular Field

Although Government has the most concentrators and can claim the most single-class students, History noses it out as the most popular field, 2,425 to 2,387. English A is excluded from the English total of 1,852, which is fourth behind Economics' 2,022.

Other individual electives following Mathematics in the list of favored courses are Social Relations 1 (377); Philosophy A (362); English 1 (355); Chemistry A (353); French C (334); German A (312); Biology D (314); Government 4a (300); and Music 1 (300). Naval Science has a combined course enrollment of 103 students, and Mil Sci, 95.

Social Relations is fifth in total field enrollment with 1390, followed by Romance Languages with 1253, and Mathematics with 1119.