Cadogan Says U.K. Will Accept but May Not Enforce U.N. Palestine Plan

Sir Alexander Cadogan, British Security Council representative, declared in a speech in New Lecture Hall last night that at present, "the United Nations offers the only road to salvation. However many failures there have been, there is hope of better things," he asserted.

During the question period which followed his address, Cadogan asserted that Great Britain "would accept" the U. N.'s decision on the Palestine problem, but retains reservations as to its part in enforcing the U. N.'s stand. He declared that a formal statement by Britain along these lines would be forthcoming in a few days.

"Wider membership" and better organization to meet aggression" are advantages of the U. N. over the League of Nations, the British diplomat stated, and he viewed "disagreements" among the Big Five as putting us on the "alert," as opposed to the "inert" attitude which he considered characteristic of the 20's.

Concerning the atom bomb, Cadogan said that the Russian announcement of "willingness to accept international control and inspection" was a large step forward, but he warned that doubts have arisen as to the exact meaning of the Russian statement.

Attacks 'Irresponsible' Vetoes

"Irresponsible use of the veto" was deprecated by Cadogan, but he declared that "nothing is wrong with the U.N. charter. It all depends on how the veto is employed. The U. N. is not a cure-all," he stated, "but merely an instrument whose effectiveness rests on the aims of its users."

In discussing the future of the U. N. Cadogan stated that world federalism "must be the ultimate hope of all of us but cannot be obtained in one leap."