Baseball Team Seeks Third Ivy Win, Faces Thrice-Beaten Cornell Today

Any one of three possible starting pitchers will take the hill for the Varsity baseball team at Ithaca today, when the Crimson attempts to extend its Ivy League record to three straight victories in a meeting with Cornell at 2 o'clock.

Coach Adolph Samborski had not settled definitely on his hurling choice when a squad of 17 players left by train for its upstate New York destination last night. Brendon Reilly, who pitched nine innings against Columbia on Wednesday, may get the call after only two days of rest; otherwise, Jack Wallace or Ralph Hymans will try to stop the Big Red.

Cornell, possessed of a strong hitting team but plagued by weak pitching, has yet to win a league game. The Ithacans dropped a 12 to 7 decision to Penn two weeks ago, and lost a double-header to Princeton last Saturday, 12 to 11 and 4 to 3.

The Big Red outfield is especially potent at the plate. Bill Arrison, Frank McArthur and Ed Merdos are all longball hitters, and the rest of the lineup contains other elements of offensive strength. If Coach Mose Quinn could find an effective pitcher, his team might surprise somebody.

Aside from the mound problem no lineup problems are bothering Samborski. He expects to use Walt Coulson, John Caulfield and Len Lunder in the outfield Bill Fitz, Captain Jack Forte, Saul Mariaschin, and John Coppinger in the infield and Bill Hamlen behind the plate.