Eichelberger, Roberts Clash On U.N. Issue

Former Supreme Court Judge Asks Federal World Union Now as Opponent Backs U.N.

Former Supreme Court Justice Owen J. Roberts charged last night that hopes for lasting international peace do not lie with the United Nations, as he urged the immediate setting up of a federal world government, at the final Law School Forum of the year at Rindge Tech.

The forum, "World Government-Is the United Nations Too Slow?" heard Clark Eichelberger, director of the American Association for the United Nations, answer his charges. Eichelberger said that the creation of such a world union would only increase the schism existing between the western powers and Russia.

Roberts told the packed forum that countries in the U.N. are indulging in the same kind of power politics that they used before the war. "Unless drastic steps are taken, a clash of national sovereignities will disrupt the U.N. and result in war," he said.

Alternative to the U.N.

"I believe that there is an alternative to the United Nations which offers the best chance for world peace. It is that we and other peoples who cherish the ideals of personal sovereignty unite in a federation for the common defense and the general welfare of the individual," Roberts declared.

The creation of a federal western bloc would only result in the formation of an opposing eastern union, asserted Eichelberger. "That is the surest way to a third World War," he maintained.

Eichelberger concluded, "If the advocates of world federation really want a military alliance of the western nations, let them call it such without the subterfuge of world federation."