Sam Donahue Signs to Play At '50 Jubilee

Frankie Kahn's Orchestra Will Provide Cabaret Music; Six Students Form Third Band

Two orchestras, led by Sam Donahue and Frankie Kahn, and a student group known as the "Harvard Squares" will provide the music for the Jubilee May 10. Donahue's appearance became definite when contracts for his band, now playing in New York, were closed Saturday morning to complete the musical arrangements for the weekend.

Hiring of the student group came as a mild surprise, for committee officials had not expected to find a suitable undergraduate orchestra. The six-piece band will play in the Union Common Room, providing music for dancing there as well as in the large hall.

Donahue has a long road record behind him, with an engagement at the Meadow-brook Club in New Jersey the most recent of his bookings. Claiming his primary object to be a "danceable band," Donahue has no clarinets or guitars, and features a male vocalist, Bill Lockwood.

14 Piece Band Friday

Frankie Kahn, with headquarters in Lowell, has a band made up of former road men who have "settled down" to play only local engagements. He will bring 14 pieces to Cambridge for the Cabaret on Friday May 9.

Tony Piano '47, a trumpeter, leads five students in his small band. He is a senior who doubles on the guitar and piano, and hopes to make a future in music.

Clarinetist Joe Pamelia '46, winner of a college-wide jazz competition in 1946, and Bill Tager '50, on the saxophone, form the wind section. Bass, drums, and piano round out the sextet.