Council Nears Completion of Salzburg Plan

Better Facilities for Students, Definite List of Professors Assure Existence of Seminar

Larger more convenient accommodations in the Austrian castle of Leopold-skron, and the first definite lineup of a faculty for the 80 or more European students who will study American civilization at Salzburg this summer were announced last night by the Student Council as the scheme now ceases to be a project and becomes an assured reality.

Definite commitments from four Harvard professors, who will pay their own travelling expenses, were also disclosed. F. O. Matthiessen, professor of American History and Literature, and Benjamin F. Wright, professor of Government, will be teaching their own respective specialties to English speaking students representing most of the countries on the Continent.

Seeger Joins Professors

Wassily F. Leontief, professor of Economics, and Gaetano Salvemini, Lauro de Bosis lecturer on the History of Italian Civilization, will also be participating in the six week curriculum. Pete Seeger, who gave an American folk song recital in Emerson Hall last February 27 for the Food Relief Drive, has also agreed to present our national folk traditions to the seminar.

By last February the Council committee on the Salzburg enterprse had already secured the 30-room Cumberland castle, 40 miles from the city, as the site of the seminar. But through the continued efforts of the International Student service at Geneva, the more modern facilities of theatrical producer Mex Reinhardt's old home of Leopoldskron are now available.

Reinhardt, founder of the renowned Salzburg music festivals, died in 1943, after purchasing Leopoldskron as an eighteenth century edifice and leaving if a comfortable dwelling. It is one mile from the city of Salzburg.