60--'Cliffedwellers--60 Classify Sex Appeal

Response to Poll Breaks Men Down, Tramples on Pieces

"Men of distinction" give way to "men of experience" in the eyes of the well rounded American college girl, according to the 60 'Cliffedwellers who answered a recent poll on "Social Factors Influencing Sexual Attraction," or as one of the subjects chose to retitle it. "Helpful Hints for the Lonely Harvard Man."

Distributed by an anonymous University student in search of intimate background material for his thesis, the poll quizzed a Radcliffe undergraduate cross-section about feminine leanings on parts of the male anatomy and psychology.

Ape-men are gong out of vogue, the replies revealed, as 90 percent of the girls chose the "masculine" over the "gruffly masculine," with three votes cast for "effeminate" and none for "extremely effeminate." Over half the subjects felt more at home with "experienced men, though "modest" ran a close second, leaving the way open for all but the "eynical" and "naive."

Asked "what physical attributes do you first notice about a man?" the members of the passive sex indicated face, eyes height, smile, and clean-cutness as major assets in making the initial impression. As an infective to complete grooming, however, votes were recorded for eyebrows, hands, the jaw, and the back of the neck.

A sallow, round faced man with a crew cut and a cigar clenched in his teeth might run serious risk of physical injury upon entering the Radcliffe yard, judging from the unfavorable reception met by these characteristics. Two conservative young students, obviously fed up with the deluge of ex-servicemen who have been storming the 'Cliffe of late, went so far as to write in negative votes beside "crew cuts," while seven delicate lasses raised their noses in the air and ejaculated, "Anything but cigars!"

"Some Day He'll Come Along . . ."

Though most of the calculating females asserted that they had lain back and picked out someone who fit their ideal physical pattern, some concession was made to male supremacy by those whose "ideal changed on meeting him." A tone renegade scribbled impulsively. "He picked me!"

Much Radcliffe comment was excited by the query. "Has your college experience in any way influenced you ideal of physical attractiveness?" "After seeing so many sick, anemic looking boys at Harvard," came one disturbed reply. "I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever be anything more than an ideal."