Council Votes Warren, Harrison Out of Office

Two Removed From Posts for Failure to Attend Meetings As Balloting Backs New Law

The Student Council last night voted William S. Harrison '43 and Edus H. Warren, Jr. '46 out of their Council offices by a two-thirds vote for "failure to discharge duties satisfactorily" as defined in the new constitution.

Their duty as the first office-holders under the new constitution, the Council felt, was "to carry out that constitution to the letter in order to establish precedent for future Councils and prevent any section from becoming dead letter."

Articles Quoted

The specific articles quoted in the Council's statement were:

"A member of the Council who fails to discharge his duties satisfactorily ... may be removed from office by a two-thirds vote of the whole Council. Whenever the case of a member is to be formally considered at a Council meeting, that member shall be so informed in writing by the Secretary at least four days in advance of that meeting.

"Since attendance at regular Council meetings constitutes one of the responsibilities accepted by every Council member at his election, any member unable to attend a meeting shall notify the Secretary in advance of that meeting of his intended absence.

Absence from Meetings

"In any one term, any five absences, or three absences without such prior notification or without good and sufficient excuse, may be considered sufficient cause for the removal of the delinquent member under the provisions above, and shall automatically bring the matter before the Council at its next meeting for deliberation and action."

"Each of the men removed broke both rules and each was warned four times by letter of the impending Council action." Council President Richard G. Axt '46 stated last night.