Houses Plan Own Memorials To Honor World War II Dead

Each of the seven College Houses will honor its own war dead with separate memorials, House Masters have disclosed, thus adding to the central tribute already being planned by the University for men who gave their lives in World War II.

While plans for an all-Harvard memorial are being tossed about in committee, two houses have already come up with definite ideas and all the others have some project under consideration. Dunster House boasts the only finished product to date, however.

Completed last September, the Dunster memorial is a simple inscription in stone above the dining hall entrance, reading: "In remembrance of thirty-three young men who once lived in this House. They died in far places during the second world war, that youth might forever walk free."

Scroll

A scroll in the common room, listing the 33 men from the Dunster community who died in service, completes the project, which was initiated by House Master Clarence H. Haring '07.

David M. Little '18, House Master of Adams, has announced that a committee of tutors and students is at work on the idea of a memorial there. Although the final form of the tribute has not yet been decided upon, a plaque bearing the names of war dead is the most likely possibility.

"We're not planning anything monumental," said Leigh Hoadley, Leverett House Master. "A simple brass plate in the library, listing the 34 names, will be our dedication." Leverett's McKinlock Hall already bears a World War I memorial over its entrance.

House Master Mason Hammond '25 described Kirkland's present plan as "None at all. I don't think the houses should get ahead of the Harvard committee in setting up their memorials," he explained. "However" he added, "since most of the other houses are doing it, it is quite possible that Kirkland will follow suit next fall."

While permanent plans for the Kirkland memorial are still rather nebulous, in a more informal but equally sincere tribute, the 1947 "Deacons Testament," Kirkland's yearbook, has been dedicated to the 27 men lost by the House.

Lowell has formed a special House committee to decide how it will honor its 44 war dead. With two or three versions of a fitting tribute under discussion by the group, House Master Elliott Perkins '23 predicted that the final decision will probably be made before summer.

Winthrop House is referring the matter to the men whom it most directly concerns, the alumni, Ronald M. Ferry '12, Master of the House reports. Eliot House has a project in the tentative stage, said House Master John H. Finley '25, but nothing is certain as yet.