Vassar Girl, No Xenophobe, Chooses Widener Over Yale

Scorns Radcliffe Shabbiness, Faces Life in Stacks With Light Heart, Gleam in Eye

"Seeing so many men at one time is a blessing," smiles Miss Zelda Cushner, Vassar '48, looking up from her table at Widener. Zelda has inyaded the traditionally all-male library reading room under the protective wing of official sanction--a rare commodity among the fair sex--and is digging in for two months of solid work.

Pert Miss Cushner has been the object of more than one glance herself, as she burrows through the musty stacks, preparing three papers for Vassar courses to make up for the time lost when she was laid up in the infirmary for seven weeks.

Always a Helping Hand

Being the only girl among so many men is a lot of fun, coos Miss Cushner. "They're always so obliging. Why, whenever I get lost in this huge place, I just stand and look helpless, and someone always comes over to give me a hand."

Her open mind and sharp eye have taken enough time off from study to form some definite ideas on that fertile ground for catticism, the Harvard man. "He may be a student first and a college man second, but he certainly knows how to handle himself on a date," she opines with a grin.

Scholastic rating notwithstanding, Radcliffe girls don't measure up to the standards of the socially-minded Vassarite. "They may work hard," she scorns, "but they all look like hell."

Yale Men Don't Rate

The 19-year-old blonde finds no comparison between the Harvard man and the typical fruit of a Yale education. "There's quite a difference between the men up here and those few Bulldogs whom we see nosing around our campus," she reports, hastening to add that the change to the Cambridge clime is all for the better.

Armed with letters from her professors and deans, the Vassarite, who hails from Cambridge, reported to the Library two weeks ago to gain the use of the stacks and reading rooms to write her term papers. Facing her is enough work to give any English A student nightmares, with a 30 page history thesis, and ten and five page English themes due.

She is working for her degree in the field of English and Comparative Literature. After she graduates in June of '48, Miss Cushner has her eye on the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences here.

Miss Cushner is unwilling to give any definite forecast about the strength of next year's Vassar football team. "If the deans are willing, we'll have a well-developed squad that should be able to hold off the strongest attacks," is her only prediction.

Dad Studied at University

She is continuing in the family tradition by her work here. Her father, Dr. John W. Cushner, is a graduate of the Dental School, Class of '13.

Appraised of the situation, Nostalthia Smythe-Heatherstone, Radcliffe '48, remarked yesterday, "Why who does she, I mean that interloper, I mean that thing think she is; coming into our territory like that? So that's why I haven't had a ma . . . I mean a date in the past month!"