Dutch, French Disagree on Issue of Germany's Economic Recovery; Truman Poised with Tax Cut Veto

Over the Wire

France and Holland argued the "German issue" at the European economic conference yesterday in Paris, with the Dutch delegation advocating the strengthening of the former Nazi state and the French "always thinking . . . of security."

Another veto, on the Republican income tax cut bill, is promised for tomorrow by President Truman, while Republican leaders claim if they are unable to override the veto "taxpayers will have no tax relief for another year . . ."

Russia made the headlines again last night, as she (1) signed a trade agreement with Hungary, (2) called the United States plan for settling Balkan border disorders "unacceptable," and (3) was characterized by Commerce Department spokesmen as cutting herself and her satellite nations behind the "iron curtain" off from U.S. steel supplies.

Missouri-born Republican Robert N. Denham was named general counsel of the new National Labor Relations Board by President Truman yesterday. His job is clothed with sweeping powers under the Taft-Hartley labor set.

The House, in less than half an hour, voted yesterday to repeal 57 wartime statutes--ranging from the law empowering the President to censor communications with foreign countries, to his authority to employ $1-a-year men.

The weather: Variable cloudiness and continued warm and humid with occasional afternoon and early evening showers. Highest temperature will be in the middle 80s.