Plaster Dust Drives Out 61 Tenants in Claverly

Dean Bender Acts to Meet Student Council Complaints

Acting after Student Council protests revealed dust filled corridors and rooms in Claverly Hall currently under alterations, Dean Bender announced last night that students there would be transferred to the Yard for the rest of the term.

Dean Bender said that the final decision as to where the 61 Claverly tenants are to be moved would be taken this afternoon following a meeting of the deans. The question of whether the moving is to be compulsory will also be decided at this conclave, he said.

Residents Protest

An investigation of the possible rooms for the displaced was being made by Delmar Leighton '19, Dean of Freshmen, and a representative of the undergraduate housing office, he said.

Notification of the Dean's decision will be given Claverly tenants by this evening, according to Dean Bender, who stated that any new room contracts would be checked through Lehman Hall for discrepancies.

Conditions in Claverly Hall were first brought to light when a group of Claverly residents protested to Patrick D. Dailey '50, of the Student Council, who talked with Dean Bender yesterday.

Janitor Agrees

Describing the dust filled air as "stifling," Herman Page '50 said that it was impossible to keep the rooms clean. Covering everything is a layer of fine plaster, he added.

Joseph O'Connor, the janitor, also agreed that as long as work continued keeping the building free from dust was impossible.

Joining Page in the protest were Richard Bobear '50, James L. Elam '50, James W. Kuhn '50, and Frank E. Fite, Jr. '50, who asked for new rooms while the work was in progress.

Started originally as a minor plastering job, work really began in earnest when workmen discovered that the 54 year old building was badly sagging. Instead of putting on the plaster, men equipped with wrecking bars changed to ripping it off to get at the walls.

In order to get to rooms during the day students have been forced to wade through piles of plaster and laths sometimes six inches high.

In spite of the precautions of the workmen and the diligence of the maids the dust soops into the rooms and is tracked onto the rugs, Page said.