Crimson Nine Stops Middlesex, 6-5, In See-Saw, Extra-Inning Encounter

Bouncing back after Middlesex had tied the game at five all in the fifth, the Crimson, in spite of sweltering heat, went on to win in an extra inning Wednesday at Soldiers Field.

With two out in the last half of the eighth, relief pitcher Bill O'Brien of the Watertown club walked the next three batters and then handed Gerald Glynn the game winning single. Bill Foster, the Crimson's relief hurler, meanwhile held the visitors bitless.

Bill Harrison, who was bothered by his control throughout the game started for the Crimson and held Middlesex scoreless for two innings, while his teammates were collecting two runs and teammates were collecting two runs and three hits from Earl Tylor, the Middlesex starter. Both these runs came in the second inning, when Dick Guidera reached on an error, stole second, and came home on Bill Hickey's single. Hickey then stole second, took third on another error and scored on Bob Carlson's long fly to left.

In the third, Middlesex picked up their first run on a hit, and two errors, but were matched when Tylor yielded another tally to the Crimson. Jack Forte singled and scored from second on Guidera's long triple.

Harrison put Middlesex down in order in the fourth while the home nine succeeded in working relief pitcher Bill O'Brien for another run.

The fifth inning was another story. The first batter led off with a single. The next two men walked, filling the bases. Harrison then forced the next two batters to pop up, but walked another man. Cliff Crosby then tripled down the first base line clearing the bases and making the score 5 to 4. In their half, the Crimson made it five all with two singles and two walks. The score remained tied until the last of the eight.

Gannon was a standout for the visitors, robbing Guidera of a sure home run and bringing down a couple of long flies. For the Crimson, last spring's Varsity players, Bill Fits and Jack Forte, fielded well. By far the best performance of the day, however, was the shutout pitching of Foster who held the Middlesex club hitless for the three crucial last innings.