Tennis Titlist Bumps Coach From Bracket

New England Doubles Champ Ousts Ashley in First Round

A New England intercollegiate doubles champion bounced former Varsity tennis coach Bob Ashley out of the University tennis championships in a first round match Wednesday to set off a 54-man field in the open singles tournament.

Charles S. Keevil, Jr., who played number five on the Amherst squad and won the N. E. title last spring, came back from the short end of a set-point, 5 to 3 first set to oust Ashley, 7 to 5 and 6 to 1. Last summer, Ashley was part of the victorious doubles team in the University tournament.

Meanwhile, a shift of interest from the closed class to the open class forced cancellation of both the closed singles and doubles and necessitated the re-adjustment of the open singles schedule, which was not yet available last night.

Because of its 54 entries, open singles will have to be run in six rounds instead of the originally scheduled four. Previously, one schedule change was made to compensate for a weeklong vacation in the Business School.

Four Rounds of Doubles

Sixteen teams have been lined up for the open doubles to extend it to the four round limit.

In addition to Keevil, three other tennis players advanced to the second round, T. W. Zinsser defeated E. A. Cohodes 6-2, 9-7; J. E. Anderson defeated J. Wattenmaker 6-2, 6-1; and C. A. Lord triumphed by default over V. Brandt.

After having been set back a week by Norman W. Fradd, assistant director of Physical Training, to accommodate the B-School men, the first round was to end next Tuesday and the finals played by the end of the month.