Prominent Mourners Appear at Last Rites in Yard for Elliott C. Cutler

Final tribute to the memory of Dr. Elliott C. Cutler '09, Mosely Professor of Surgery at the Medical School, was paid by foremost figures in professional and public life in a brief Memorial Chapel ceremony last Tuesday afternoon.

Funeral services for Dr. Cutler, former chief surgical consultant for the European Theater of Operations in the war, who died last Saturday, were conducted by Dean Willard L. Sperry of the Divinity School, with Francis Caswell and Ashley D. Leavitt assisting.

Symbolic of the respect paid by the nation, the state, and the city, Senator Leverett Saltonstall '14, Governor Robert F. Bradford '23, and Temporary Mayor John B. Hynes arrived at the Yard in advance of the funeral cortege which was making its way from Brookline.

It moved slowly through the suburb where Dr. Cutler had lived during his many years of practice, and arrived at the entrance to the Yard at 3:45 o'clock. For 15 minutes until the commencement of the ceremony the Chapel bells mournfully tolled.

Public Dignitaries Mourn

Other prominent individuals reported present were former Secretary of War Robert B. Patterson, Surgeon General R. W. Bliss of the U.S. Army, and Dr. Winthrop Adams, medical director of the Veterans Administration.