Weld Hall Starts Inquiry on Late Veterans' Checks

Where University students stand in the current dilemma of late subsistence checks will be the object of a query this week and next by the Weld Hall Veterans Office among Law School and Graduate School veterans registering for the fall term.

Miss Margaret Witt, assistant to the Counsellor for Veterans, said yesterday that a manpower shortage in the Boston finance division of the Veterans Administration has been playing hob with the mailing of checks. Her office wants to know how many Harvard men have been affected.

From 400 to 500 men have complained about late checks during the past month, she said, but she wants conclusive proof in order to decide on what action to take. If the Veterans Office finds that an unusually large percentage has not been receiving subsistence allowance, she will check with Boston to make sure that the situation will be cleared up by the fall when the majority of students will be re-applying.

Unless the Boston office can handle the fall's traffic, Miss Witt said that the University will contact Washington to get more personnel for handling veterans finance for the Hub area.