Brawn or Agility No Prerequisites To Success with Cheerleading Squad

"We don't want 200 pound-linemen. Fleet broken field runners used not apply. We want men with plenty of pep and strong vocal coras," Gerald Spear .'48, head cheerleader, declared yesterday as he issued an appeal for candidates.

"Although before the war Varsity lettermen not only had to carry the ball on the field, but also had to lead cheers, the cheerleading is now done solely by separate students," he said. Last spring the undergraduate Athletic Council and the H.A.A. decided that the job of cheerleading assumed by the students during the war should be continued if student interest remained.

"Varsity lettermen may have to lead the cheers again if student interest continues to decline at the present rate." Spear warned, adding that "only six cheerleaders were needed for this fall."

Any and all students are welcome to try out, according to Spear. First trials of candidates are scheduled for 4 o'clock, September 23, on the steps of the Indoor Athletic Building. Practice for the wig-waggers will be held at least twice weekly during the fall, he said, although more intensive sessions will take place in the next two weeks.

Although experienced men are preferred, any man has a chance of getting one of the six positions. Spear pointed out that cheerleaders see the game from the best seats in the stadium.