Enrollment Reaches 311-Year Peak

1,350 Sign In Today; 12,500 In University

The first wave of the largest enrollment in University history will make a 1,350-man-beachhead at Mem Hall today staring at 8:30 o'clock.

With 1,138 new Freshmen and 212 returning students, the early registrants start the climb toward an expected over all University enrollment of 12,500.

The veteran bulge, which has boosted the enrollment to abnormal heights, has passed from the Freshman class, however, since today's records are expected to show a sharp decline in the number of new veterans.

Meeting and Tests

Signing up today--and tomorrow from 8:30 to 1 o'clock--are 920 men directly from high school, 172 new veterans, 46 formerly admitted but never attended, and 212 returning after a leave of absence. Two-hundred-eighteen of the members of the Class of '51 will be veterans as compared to 305 in the Class of '50.

Outside of that, for the most part the early arrival's schedule will be filled with meetings and tests--lapping over into next week and to the time classes have their first meetings on Wednesday.

English A

From 8:30 to 12 o'clock this morning, A to M will trudge in and out of Mem Hall's arched, grotesque doorways. From 1 to 4 o'clock. N to Z will move in. The men who missed their trains can register from 4 to 6 o'clock today and from 3:40 to 1 o'clock tomorrow--same place.

Tomorrow, the first full day in residence, like the last day will be devoted to tests and exams, such as language placement and English A anticipatory. University officials warned the men who are eligible for the English exam to register today so that there would not be a conflict tomorrow.

Course and Program Discussions

Saturday morning will be devoted to placement tests and Sunday to a special worship service conducted by Dean Sperry in Memorial Church and to an open house at Phillips Brooks House in the afternoon.

While upperclassmen register on Monday, the new men will be occupied by meetings with faculty advisers to discuss course and program selections.

On Tuesday, besides the central section meetings for elementary courses, the early registrants will meet in Sanders Theatre at 2 o'clock for Hygiene Department announcements. PBH will open up again for the new men at 7:30 o'clock that evening for talks on College extra-curricular activities.