Freshman Football Practice To Start Monday Afternoon

Coach Henry Lamar Will Greet Earlybirds Today; Yardlings Finished Strong Last Autumn

Work with the College's newest football talent will start Monday afternoon on Soldier's Field, according to Freshman coach Henry Lamar.

Anticipating a plethora of placement exams and special meetings for new-comers, Lamar is delaying his first real practice until four days after registration, although he will not be disappointed if some men show up this afternoon.

Last fall, henry piloted his youthful proteges to a brilliant conclusion after the season got off to a stormy start. Three early defeats failed to stem the coach's optimism and high opinion of his team, and the Freshmen rallied to register a near win over powerful Exeter in tying them, 0 to 0.

A week later the Freshmen outplayed the undefeated Crimson jayvees while losing a thriller, 14 to 8, and then cut loose with three final victories. Dartmouth and Brown succumbed by respective scores of 20 to 0 and 28 to 7, and the Yardlings concluded their season with a spectacular 12 to 6 upset of unbeaten Yale.

Played in the Mud

Two thousand rain-drenched spectators stood in the muck and mire to watch this latter encounter, as they saw quarterback Jim Kenary, this fall a potential cog in the Varsity machine, break loose for scoring runs of 65 and 85 yards.

Besides Kenary, Coach Lamar last fall had the distinction of developing a host of new players for Dick Harlow, particularly fleet halfback Hal. Moffie. Others include end Armando Mazzone, tackle Doug Bradlee, center Bill Hickey and guard Dick Guidera, last year's Freshman captain.

One of the annual high points of Yardling schedules is the traditional contest with Chief Boston's Jayvees. In 1947, this proved to be the first home game for Lamar's forces and one of their best, as they outplayed their rivals most of the way and led by one point in the final quarter before going down to defeat.