Game's Fate Rides on Baton Catch

Band Tradition Says Dropped Stick Will Mean Dropped Tilt

"Best in the business,"

That's what the New Yorker thought of the Harvard University Bank last year, and that's what the band intends to be this year. With 80 regulars returning to wear the red coats and white pants, the music makers need only a baton twirler to set things in motion before the opening whistle at Soldiers Field.

Of course Manager Jay Skinner '48 will be glad to see you if you can play a tuba or beat a drum, but what he really wants is someone who can toss that shiny metal shaft around--two, if possible. "We have never marched on the field without a baton twirler to toss his baton over the goal posts," Sinner declared.

Tryouts Today. Tomorrow

Band tradition says that if the twirler tosses and catches the baton, the team wins. Skinner pointed to the Yale and Rutgers games last year without comment, the only times the twirler dropped his baton all season.

Bait for potential Freshmen life and drummers, besides the best seats at the games is the chance to have guests, feminine or otherwise, in the cheering sections. First tryouts will be held at Sanders Theatre today and tomorrow at 7 o'clock. First full rehearsal is at Sanders. Sunday from 3:30 o'clock to 5 o'clock.

Play at Richmond

Three outside concerts, as well as outside trips, are on the schedule for this fall. First concert will be at Richmond, Virginia, the night before the University of Virginia game on October 11. A mid-season performance in Sanders Theatre on Friday, October 24, and a December 5 concert at Symphony Hall complete the stage appearances of the group.

Director Malcolm H. Holmes '28 and arranger F. Leroy Anderson '29 have medleys ready for the Rutgers, Virginia, and Boston University games as well as a group of new marches for pregame rallies.

If it can, the band will break its own record of executing 33 different letters between halves. Last year the red-coated drummers outlettered all the other aggregations by 197 capitals. For the Yale game the manager assured the members of the band that the big drum will be again fit, and drummers armed and ready.