J.V. Mentor Seeks To Repeat Perfect Last Year Record

Countiess football teams cleat the sod of Soldiers' Field in the autumn--ranging from the inter-House players to the eleven that performs in the Stadium. Midway in the throng and little ballyhooed is Chief Boston's Jayvee squad made up of the men on the rung below the Varsity squad.

In the week after the first Varsity game of the season, R. C. Harlow cuts his swollen pre-season squad and Clarence Elijah Boston takes over the newlyformed outfit. This year's Jayvee squad is scheduled to be picked in about three weeks.

Last fall's Crimson Jayvee team succeeded in making itself felt around the East. Undefeated in all is games, the Bostonmen ended by squashing. Yale, 26-0, as a driving rain gradually turned the field into a swamp.

Hopes to Repeat

"I hope we can do as well as last year," Chief Boston murmured hopefully yesterday, "but it's a little difficult to tell just now because we don't have a squad, the schedule isn't made up, the coaches haven't been chosen, and we haven't worked out the plays yet."

When the Jayvees are chosen they will probably spend their first few weeks running enemy formations for the Varsity until the Freshman eleven, which traditionally does that job, is organized sufficiently.

Although last year a number of Freshmen held positions on the Jayvee eleven, this fall under the now Ivy League rulings, the Class of '51' can compete only in Freshman athletics.