Marshall Asks for Curb on Veto In Proposing UN Control Shakeup; Hurricane Rips Through Florida

Over the Wire

Secretary of State Marshall tossed a Truman-approved bombshell into a UN Assembly meeting yesterday when he proposed a 55-nation "Little Assembly" to look after world peace. Since it would curb the veto power, the new Marshall plan caused the greatest consternation among the Russian delegation.

As the UN shook before the Marshall oratory, southern Florida was stirred up too--in the face of winds as high as 120 miles per hour called the "heaviest hurricane of a decade," which swept westward devastating a wide belt of citrus groves and vegetable farms.

Besides Marshall, two other political figures pushed into the limelight when James V. Forrestal took the oath as the nation's first Secretary of Defense and Harold E. Stassen, open candidate for the '48 Republican presidential nomination, called on President Truman for immediate action on food shortages and aid to Europe.

The government, however, yesterday had already taken further steps to combat food shortages and rising prices. Administrators slashed the amount of grain to be shipped abroad in November in order to have time to review domestic prospects and policies. And seven Senators started out on a special committee investigation, headed by Vermont's Aiken, to find a "long range program" that will "get crops on consumers' tables without having price increases of 300 or 400 percent." An AFL spokesman suggested to a Congressional committee that consumers' cooperatives ought to be a way out.

While International, national, and Florida storms raged, the former mayor of New York City, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, lying quietly ill in New York as the result of an operation last June, was reported at midnight as "slightly worse" and "not expected to regain full consciousness."

The weather: Sunny with pleasant temperatures again today, the highest near 74 degrees, Fair tonight and tomorrow.