PBH Reception Sunday Greets '51

Teas and Meetings Scheduled to Round Out Week's Events

Fall term activities of Phillips Brooks House, College service organization, will begin Sunday at 3 o'clock with a Freshman Reception at the House, it was announced yesterday by Charles Lipton '48, president.

Also scheduled at the House were a general activities meeting Tuesday at 7 o'clock, the regular series of joint Harvard-Racliffe Freshman teas next Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and a Brooks House organizational meeting next Tuesday evening.

"Freshmen and other Harvard new comers will be able to become acquainted with both women and College activities through this series of events," Lipton said, emphasizing that this would be "an ideal opportunity for new men to get started,"

"Built as a Religious Center

Built in 1900 as a students' religious center, the House was named for Phillips Brooks, dedicated to "piety, charity, and hospitality," and is interdenominational in character. In 1904 the Phillips Brooks House Association was formed to work in religious and social service fields.

Today, Brooks House carries on its activities through 11 committees, under direction of Lipton, Charles W. Duhig '29, graduate secretary; Jay L. Fialkow '48, vice-president; and Thomas Hyde '50, secretary-treasurer.

The Freshmen Teas will be open to men whose last names begin with letters A through G. Monday afternoon; H through M, Wednesday; and N through Z Friday. Racliffe women are invited to all teas.

The general activities meeting Tuesday at 7 o'clock will feature introduction to the recognized College organizations, including requirements for membership. Questions will be answered, Lipton said.

The various activities of PBH committees will be discussed next Tuesday evening, September 30.

Settlement Houses Aided

Largest of the committees is that devoted to social service, which leads boys' clubs, coaches athletics and debating teams, and supervises hobby clubs in 41 settlement houses in Greater Boston.

The Freshman Committee directs new members into the other activities of the House, while the Undergraduate Faculty committee tutors high school students, teaches English to immigrants, reads to blind students, and instructs groups or individuals.

The Speakers and Entertainers Committee supplies men for school and church entertainments. The Blood Committee works with the Red Cross in securing blood donations. A newly-organized ticket Agency Committee secures tickets to local musical and theatrical events.

Rents Books to Students

The Library Committee rents books to students. The Hospital Visitation Committee sends members to Stillman Infirmary to fulfill requests of student patients. A Freshman Handbook and quarterly bulletin are published by the Publications and Publicity Committees, while the Office Committee handles the office work of the Brooks House Association.