Schedule for Opening Days Listed

Today

8:30--6 o'clock: Registration in Memorial Hall for new students in Harvard College and students returning after an absence will be as follows: A-,M: 8:30--12 o'clock: N Z: 1--4 o'clock: all late arrivals: 4--6 o'clock. Assignments to Advisers will be included in the registration envelope of new students and of returning. Freshmen who have no completed two terms of residence in Harvard College. Other students will be advised by Departmental Representatives on Saturday and Monday in the fields in which they intend to concentrate or may apply for a Freshman Adviser at 9 University Hall.

Students taking English A anticipatory examination must register on Thursday.

Tomorrow

8:30--1 o'clock: Registration continued in Memorial Hall for those new students and students returning after an absence who did not register today.

9--11 o'clock: Examination for exemption from English A, A--M, New Lecture Hall; N--Z, Emerson D, for (a) students returning from service in the armed forces; (b) students who have studied in other colleges; (c) those students entering from school who have been notified on the certificate of admission that they are eligible to take it. Freshmen catering from school and receiving no such notice are not eligible, but any veteran, including any former student who has passed English Aa but not Ab, may take the exemption examination if he wishes to do so.

11--12:30 o'clock: Reading Test. A'est to determine rate of speed and comprehension in reading. Required of all new students. A--M in New Lecture Hall; N--Z in Emerson D.

2--3:30 o'clock: Placement Test* in French. A--M in New Lecture Hall; N--Z in Emerson D.

3:45--5:15 o'clock: Placement Tests* in Latin and Physics, A--M in New Lecture Hall; N--Z in Emerson D.

5:30 o'clock: Meeting of Student Waiters at 29 Weld Hall.

7:30 o'clock: Reception for all new and returning students in Sanders Theater. Speakers: Thomas S. Lamont '21, Overseer; Provost Buck; Dean Bender.

Saturday

9--10:30 o'clock: Placement Tests* in German and Spanish, A--M in New Lecture hall; N--Z in Emerson D.

10:45--12:15 o'clock: Placement Tests* in Chemistry and Latin, A--M in New Lecture Hall; N--Z in Emerson D.

8 o'clock: Informal Dance at Agassiz Hall to meet Radcliffe Freshmen.

Sunday

11 o'clock: Morning worship service. The Memorial Church. Special service for returning veterans and new students, conducted by Dean Willard L. Sperry. Chairman of the Board of Preachers. Each Sunday thereafter throughout the college year.

4 o'clock: Open House for new students. Phillips Brooks House.

Monday

8:40 o'clock: Morning Prayers in Appleton Chapel. The Memorial Church. Dean Sperry. A non-sectarian, voluntary service held daily, except on Sundays, throughout term time.

9 o'clock: Required meeting for new students, Sanders Theatre. Discussion of choice of studies and other important matters.

10--4 o'clock: Freshman Advisers and Departmental Advisers available for conference.

5 o'clock: Freshmen, new and returning men, must file preliminary study cards at 2 University Hall before this hour.

5:15 o'clock: Candiates for Freshman football report at Dillon Field House.

7 o'clock: Trials for the Harvard Glee Club, Sever 11.

Tuesday

Section Organization Meeting for all courses having section meetings, time to be announced.

8:40 o'clock: Morning Prayers in Memorial Church. President Conant.

2 o'clock: Required meeting for all new students, Sanders Theatre. Department of Hygiene and Physical Training announcements.

7:30 o'clock: Activities Meeeting, Phillips Brooks House. Representatives of undergraduate organizations will speak.

Wednesday

First regular meeting of courses.

*In view of the fact that the admission tests do not cover all subjects studied in school, and of the importance for Advisers of knowing the competence of students in certain subjects, new students are required to take placement examinations in such of the following subjects as have been studied in school without being examined in the admission tests for in College Board examinations in some previous year): Chemistry, Physics, French, German, Latin or Spanish. These examinations should be taken, whether or not the student plans to take courses in these subjects in college. Any Freshman or Sophomore who received a grade of 594 in any of these foreign language placement tests or in any foreign language test given by the College Board after 1941 will be considered to have met the Language Requirements (see statement of Language Requirements in official pamphlets).