College to House N. S. A. Student Affairs Group

National headquarters of the Student International Affairs Commission of the newly organized United States National Student Association will be established here next week, it was announced yesterday by University delegates back from the Constitutional Convention of the NSA at Madison, Wisconsin. The Conference was held in the first week of this month.

Regional NSA offices for Northern New England are also slated for this vicinity, with Lawrence Jaffa 2 Div serving as president. The regional organizational plan was set up as proposed by Edrie weld '48, Student Council president and a convention alternate delegate.

International Commission chairman Robert Smith 1G, formerly of Yale, will be assisted here by a full-time secretary and will work in cooperation with both countrywide regional officers and the Student Council International Activities Committee headed by William J. Richard '48.

Headquarters at Madison

The NSA Student Domestic Affairs Commission, under the direction of Ralph Dungan of St. Joseph's College, Pennsylvania, will establish its national offices along with those of the Association at Madison. NSA President is William Welsh of Berea College, Kentucky; while Janice Tremper of Rockford, Illinois, acts as secretary, and Leland Jones of Buffalo as treasure. The domestic and international commission chairman serve as NSA vice-presidents.

At present the number of participating institutions in the National Student Association totals nearly 400, although formal ratification of the Constitution and consequent formal affiliation will not take place in full for some time. Action by the College Student Council will be considered at next Monday's opening meeting of the term.

Several College Delegates

College delegates to the recent convention were Francis D. Fisher '48, who focused his attention on international issues; Frederick D. Houghetling '50, who was elected to the Constitution Committee; and Selig S. Harrison '48, who helped draft the recommendations of the Panel on Educational Opportunity, David C. Poskanzer '50, alternate delegate, chaired the key sub-panel on academe freedom.

Graduate school delegates Andrew E. Rice and Jack Hirshieifer worked with the international panel. Regional president Jaffa, Divinity School representative, led the deliberations of the sub-panel on affiliation with the International Union of Students, a world youth group.

The delegates are official member of the now-constituted National Student Congress.

The first of a series of special features on the NSA constitutional convention will appear tomorrow.