Radcliffe Begins 69th Year Today; One Student Carries Junior Along

Radcliffe will commence its sixty-ninth year this morning when 1,250 students will convene for formal opening exercise at the First Congregational Church, Cambridge. Yesterday 900 Radcliffe upperclassmen registered, swelling the total enrollment of an already recordsized Freshman Class of 280.

One junior filing through the registration gauntlet at Longfellow Hall at noon yesterday was undoubtedly more laden than the present greenest Yardling who grabs every bit of paper that Memorial Hall tables disgorge. Mrs. Doris Moths, 22 year-old member of the class of '49, had a 13 month-old baby to maneuver through enrollment blanks. Her husband, Armin Moths, Sr. '47 couldn't stay home to mind Armin, Jr., which accounted for the latter's presence on the registration line.

Both parents of the potential member of the Harvard class of '69 are Biology majors, and long afternoon laboratory sessions make a problem in baby tending for the Armin family.

To get along without a baby sitter they have arranged their schedules with their morning and afternoon classes falling on alternate days. The family gets reunited nightly over textbooks, a warm bottle of milk for Armin Jr., and black coffee later on for his parents.

Today's ceremonial opening of Radcliffe College includes the Freshman Class, which is composed of woman from 33 states and Canada. In the ranks of the 300 graduate students, who will march directly behind the senior in a procession to the Church, are students from 17 foreign countries.

In the procession starting from the Radcliffe Yard at 11 o' clock, members of the Senior Class will wear their caps and gowns for the first time. Following the Seniors in the procession, the trailing graduates and undergraduates will enter the First Congregational Church where they will be addressed by President W. K. Jordan and Graduate Dean Berniece Brown Cronkhite.

While graduate students adjourn for a special meeting and a luncheon, Dean Mildred P. Sherman, Dean Wilma A. Kerby-Miller, and Susanna J. Ehrentheil '48' president of the student government, will speak to the undergraduates