Salzburg Students, Faculty Ask Seminar's Continuance

European students and American instructors launching the Salzburg Seminar in American Civilization this summer agreed "that it is a necessity to continue the project for at least five years." This is the report that Clemens Heller 2G, father of the seminar, will relay to the Student Council this month.

Sponsored jointly by the Student Council and the International Student Service, the program brought advanced students from 16 European nations into contact with an American faculty assembled to teach them "as much about American and American life as can be taught in six weeks."

"And the Europeans learned a lot about each other, too," Heller added.

This winter the seminar's quarters in Leopoldskron, an ornate eighteenth century castle, will serve as a rest home for European students. Richard D. Campbell, Jr. '48, who helped Heller guide the experiment through its infant troubles, has remained behind in Europe to administer the home.

Winter residents will have access to the small international library which is accumulating in Salzburg. Their only faculty guidance will be by correspondence with willing professors in American arranged by Campbell and the I. S. S.