Cake For The Coach

There are many ways of saying "Happy Birthday." Thirty members of the Varsity track team said it with CARE last night when they handed Coach Mikkola a certificate designating that five food packages be sent in his name to needy families in Finland. Jaakko has been coaching here for the past 26 years.

He also got a birthday cake with pink and yellow frosting, which he is shown slicing into in the above photo. Flanking the Crimson mentor are Manager Hilary Smart (left), Mrs. Mikkola, and Captain Frank Gurley, who made the CARE presentation.

The surprise party started at the Varsity Club and went by auto cavalcade to the Mikkola abode in nearby Belmont, where the team brought Jaakko hustling out onto his front steps with a "Happy Birthday" chant.

Inside the house, after the gifts were given to the coach, Mrs. Mikkola reciprocated by plying the track members with hot cocoa and coffee, and home-made Finnish cookies and pastries. The party broke up early, with the guests hurrying back into Cambridge to get at the books.