A. Ballantine Jr. Uses Know - How Gained as Editor

By Arthur A. Ballantine jr., (Minneapolis Morning Tribune.)

I have been in the newspaper business during the last two years and have frequently called upon the experience I had at the CRIMSON in 1934-35. The jobs of reporting, writing editorials, putting the paper together, delivery, circulation and advertising are basically the same on all newspapers.

The chief lesson I have learned since is that we did not pay enough attention in those days to the less romantic side of newspapering, circulation and advertising. It does not do much good to put out the best newspaper in the world if it is not going to be read and make its own way.

Our board had the experience of fighting a competitor, the Harvard Journal, formed by a group of able CRIMSON editors. Before finances forced the Journal to close, both boards had learned a lot and had a lot of fun in the bargain.

The CRIMSON was my method of learning about the University. The chance to talk with the faculty, officials, coaches, and students interested in a variety of activities, combined with the necessity of taking editorial positions, gave me a picture of Harvard I will always value and carry with me.