Law School Will Jack Tuition Fee By $200 Annually

Higher Costs Cause 'Long-Delayed' Rise

Would-be lawyers will have to pay more for their training at the Harvard Law School next fall, as the result of a $100 per term increase in tuition announced yesterday by the University.

The jump from $200 to $300 a term will not affect next year's third year students, as tuitions will remain at the present level for those who entered last February or earlier and who will graduate by June 1949 on either regular or the postwar accelerated programs.

The increase had been held off for as long as possible, Erwin R. Griswold, Dean of the Law School, stated. "We made extensive studies and formed planned budgets for years to come, but found no alternative but to make this change, much as we regret it."

50 Percent Rise in Costs

Library, instruction, and building costs are 50 percent above the 1940 level, he explained, and endowments, which never covered more than a third of the costs, now account for less than 25 percent.

The increase, the first in 20 years, was only voted after all efforts to reduce the present high costs proved unsuccessful, the University asserted. Yale's Law tuition already stands at $600.

The Medical and Business School have previously raised their tuition, but College fees are so far unchanged.