Police Still Searching for Gunman Who Kidnaped College Instructor

A young man in overalls who kidnapped and robbed a Harvard mathematics instructor Wednesday night on Massachusetts ave., was still at large early this morning.

John Gurland, a newly transferred instructor from the University of California, was forced into his car by an armed bandit at 9:20 Wednesday evening. The man then told him to drive to Charles street, threatening him with a black automatic and "numerous curses."

"When he realized that I didn't know Boston," Gurland explained, "he tried to instruct me downtown. I must have driven for over 45 minutes, with that gun nudging me all the time."

Takes Watch

The kidnapper finally stopped Gurland at B and South streets where he demanded his driver's money. After finding that the loot was only $9, he demanded Gurland's $40 watch.

Telling Garland not to move for five minutes and not to notify the police, the robber then fled down the street. The main instructor hastened to a nearby gas station and reported the incident.

The thief was described as about 28 years old and five feet seven inches tall.

In addition to the automatic which he brandished, the kidnapper also carried a small cloth with which be wiped off all fingerprints.

"He was extremely nervous," Gurland continued, "and he made me drive about 38 or 40 miles an hour while weaving through traffic. It's surprising we weren't picked up by some of the police cars that we passed."