More Junior Colleges Suggested by Conant

President James B. Conant called upon the people of America to improve their college facilities in an address at the University of Massachusetts Saturday night.

Stressing the fact that many potential college students cannot afford to live away from their families, president Conant urged the development of more "Community colleges." That would allow the student to live at home.

He explained that these colleges would be, on the whole, two year institutions, and that these two years of "general and vocational education can be provided almost as readily as the last two years of high school. Therefore," he continued, "this type of advanced education lends itself to development in every city and almost every large-sized town."

Special Degree

President Conant went on to express the opinion that these colleges should have the right to give a special bachelor's degree--"that badge of respectability for most Americans." A two-year degree of bachelor of general studies (B.G.S.) night well represent the final degree for a majority of college students.

Stressing the importance of a well rounded social life during the two-year period, Conant saw no reason why such a combination of job training and "education for a full life of civic responsibility" might not be more valuable than the courses now offered in a large and crowded university.

Speaking at the inauguration of Dr. Ralph A. Van Meter as president of the University of Massachusetts, president Conant complimented the university on its two-year agricultural college in Stockbridge--a thirty year old venture that pioneered the development of shorter courses in specialized fields.

Conant also speculated on the possibility that some day each state might specialize in certain fields. There is bound to be some basic duplication, he admitted, but 'could it not be arranged that students from all the New England states would go to . . . Maine for one type of training and to Massachusetts for another?"

Returning to his discussion of economic barriers to education after high school, he then listed some of the figures and percentages illustrating the increasing curve in education after secondary school. An all time high of 50 percent of high school graduates are new enrolled as collage freshman, and Conant felt sure the figure would continue to mount as America woke up to her scholastic responsibilities.

The significant step forward marked by the development of two-year community colleges hinges on the acceptance and cooperation of leading citizens in each locality, particularly by managers of industry, president Conant concluded.