Democrats Oust Oppenheim, Who Terms Action 'Asinine'

William W. Oppenheim '49, who two days ago resigned as Democratic Society president to join the Young Republican Club, was officially removed from office and expelled from membership by the Democrats last night.

Oppenheim refused to attend the meeting that unanimously--with one abstention--impeached him; but in a letter to the club he attacked the "asinine and public" manner in which the proceedings were conducted, and said that he would always "remain a democrat with a small 'd'."

The charges on which Oppenheim was removed from office were that he "acted contrary to the club's best interest" by coming out for Dewey, and that he violated the club's constitution by appointing a temporary vice-president when the constitution says this can only be done by the executive board.

He was also accused of conducting club business after writing the Young Republicans of his switch.

Oppenheim claims that he could not be impeached, because he had already sent a letter of resignation to the club through the vice-president he has appointed. This letter had not yet been transmitted to the club last night, and members refused to consider it valid.