Holworthy, Lionel Among Leaders As Yardling Touch Football Opens

Hollis, Straus and Lionel Halls nabbed front positions in the Yard National League yesterday, while Thayer "Middle" and Holworthy led the American League after the first freshman intramural touch football games at Soldiers Field.

Working from a single-wing, Hollis ran up the day's highest total in downing Thayer "North," 25 to 0. Issacson passed for three Hollis touchdowns--two to Bob Yager and one to Lawrence Sperber. Sperber tallied the fourth TD on an end run.

Straus oked out a narrow 12 to 8 decision over Thayer "South." Hugh Raphael hit Tom Fraher and Fran McCoy with touchdown serials to give Straus both its scores, while Jack Murphy heaved a six-pointer to Jack Kreps for the Southmen of Thayer. The losers also got two points in the last quarter on a safety when Kreps nabbed Raphael behind the goal.

Lionel the Victor

Winner of the third National Loop contest was Lionel, which took a close 6 to 0 verdict over Wigglesworth A-D. The only score came in the first period on Bill Letson's pass to Emil DeCoen.

In the American, Thayer "Middle" topped Weld "North," 12 to 6, with Jim Anderson's scoring run of 40 yards on an intercepted pass in the third quarter. Both teams had scored TD's in the opening stanza, Thayer on a 20-yard pass from Tom Rogers to Jerry Murphy, and Weld "North" on Byers 10-yard end run.

Mower and Claverly battled to a 6 to 6 deadlock.