Council Approves Plan To End Language Pro

'Make the Punishment Fit the Crime'

The Student Council last night approved a proposal to ditch the probation penalty for students who don't pass the language requirement by the end of their fifth term. The measure, suggested by the College's Committee on Educational Policy, will go before the faculty later this month.

"The punishment does not fit the crime," Dean Bender told the Council. Since attendance will not be taken the upperclass courses this year, he added, probation would not mean much.

Students on "language pro" can still participate in extra-curricular activities--except for team athletics--as long as their name isn't used, Dean Bender said.

The resignation of David W. Young '46 was accepted, and Herbert J. Spiro '50 of Lowell House and San Antonio, was appointed in his place.

Committee Chairmen

President William D. Weeks '49 announced the appointment of chairmen for this year's eight Council committees. Co-chairmen of the Education committee are Hale M. Knight '50 and Herbert J. Spiro '50. Roy M. Goodman '51 will head the International Activities Committee, while Edward L. Footo '51 is in charge of the Extra-curricular Activities Committee.

Charles R. Brynteson '50 and David L. McMurtrie '50 head the Student Welfare Committee; George I. Harris '50 and Amory Houghton, Jr. '50 are chairmen of the Freshman Affairs and Class Affairs Committees respectively, and Frederick Deane, Jr. '48 heads the Money and Relief Committee.