Depleted Varsity Holds Rugged Contact Drill

By Peter B. Taub

As if last Saturday were nothing but a bad dream, Harvard's thinned football ranks went to work in earnest yesterday on the task of rebuilding their resources in time for the Crimson's forty-seventh meeting with Brown Saturday in the Stadium.

Coach Art Valpey sent his squad through long contact drills against the Freshmen and Jayvees, testing defenses against the Yardlings and working its offense against the Junior Varsity. Yesterday marked first time this year that the Freshmen have run an opposition's attack against the Varsity. Carroll Lowenstein simulated Ed Finn, Brown's ace passer in its winged T formation.

The offensive session was devoted mainly to men who didn't see a great deal of action against Princeton and to these who are learning now positions--Church Rocho at wingback and Jerry Kanter at tackle. Paul O'Brien took part in the scrimmage and will be able to face the Bruins, but the condition of Sam Butler and Dick Guidera is still doubtful. They were not scrimmaging yesterday. Chip-Gannon's hard running featured the offensive drill, which was otherwise good only in spots.

Brown Equal to Indians

End Coach Elmer Madar, who has scouted Brown in its last three outings against Connecticut, Rutgers, and Western Reserve, ranked the Bruins on a par with Dartmouth and reported that its line was bigger than Harvard's and faster than the Holy Cross forward wall. Finn, brother of Harvard's 1947 game captain and guard Jim Feinberg, did not have to take to the air except against Rutgers, and then his passing was impressive.

Ken O'Donnell will name the game captain for Saturday's contest. Gannon, Howie Houston, and Bill Henry have been sharing the duties when O'Donnell has not been in the game.