HYD Insists Drive Drop Negro Colleges; Charity Fund Almost Half Way to Goal

Lowell Gives Largest Donation So Far

The Combined Charities Drive is exactly $12,469.20 on the way to its $25,000 goal, treasurer Frederick Deane '48 announced last night.

High contributor of the day was Lowell House, which rang up a total of $1305,45. Kirkland followed closely behind with a $1038.48 donation. Gifts from the other Houses are: Adams, $963.41; Leverett, $831; Dunster, $805; and Winthrop, $776.50. Eliot House was low with a total contribution of $110.

Freshmen gave $4514.01 at registration, and pledged an additional $6000; $1561.90 of which was collected today. Residents of Dudley Hall added $135.45 to the total, Little Hall tossed in $90 more, and Apley and Claverly gave $176.50 and $161.50 respectively.

Deane said the drive would continue with "unabated vigor" for the rest of the week. Although he called the first day's returns "encouraging," he said there is no definite trend indicating that the $25,000 target will be hit without still more individual canvassing.