Unbeaten and Unbowed

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In a news article headlined "Beaten But Not Bowed Politicos Trumpet Retreat", the CRIMSON is guilty of a highly inaccurate description of the post-election status of Harvard's political clubs. What your correspondent completely neglected was the reascendency of the Liberal Union to its traditional position as Harvard's most influential political action group.

As the excessive noise of both the national Wallacites and Deweyites has been debunked by the good sense of the electorate, so too have their local disciples been revealed as thoroughly unrepresentative of university liberal opinion. On the other hand, the Liberal Union has quietly worked hard and long together with labor and ADA groups to help defeat and anti-labor referenda and elect Truman and Dever, without the undue fanfare and disproportionate publicity that the right and left extremes received. On Nov. 2, the state and nation turned to the "third force," its non-communist left, and the HLU "politicos" neither were "beaten" nor in "retreat", but, on the contrary, quite jubilant and appreciative. . . . Roy Gootenberg '49