Squash Team Rounds into Shape for Winter Season

By Douglas M. Fouquet

Last year's Crimson squash unit was one of the best in the east, and judging from the look of things after just two weeks of practice, Coach Jack Barnaby may well have another winning team on his hands this winter.

Returning from last year's squad--which beat almost every local squash-playing college plus three of Canada's hottest teams--will be four men who, Coach Barnaby hopes, can lead the Crimson to a repeat of the '47-'48 success, or even to an undefeated season.

Number one man this season will probably be Milt Heath, whose quick, canny game makes up for his lack of height and reach. Right behind him will be Hugh Foster, brother of Adam Foster, who had been top man on Crimson squads for the past few years. Captain Jim McKittrick and temporarily-disabled Steve Mead are the other returnees.

But the man who may surprise all and could easily be the team's biggest gun is Henry Foster, youngest of the Foster tribe. Henry burned up Freshman play last winter with his lightning-fast game that bewilders all opponents, and this week beat Captain McKittrick in a test match. "Henry might even turn out to be our number one man," says Barnaby.

The team plans its usual full schedule this year, opening with McGill and Toronto here the first weekend in December, and running through matches with just about every Eastern collegiate team in sight before the traditional Eli windup.

Enters Metropolitan League

In between its collegiate matches the Crimson will enter "A," "B" and "C" squads in the metropolitan league, which plays daily matches and consists of such power-laden local teams as the Harvard Club, University Club, and Union Boat Club.

Varsity players will also enter two individuals tournaments this year. First of these are the national intercollegiates during Christmas vacation, which previews the national title intercollegiates in March.

Besides the Varsity, Corey Winn's Freshmen also look good in their preseason practises. A number of good prospects reported to Coach Winn, whose team will play intercollegiate matches as well as enter "C" and "D" units in the metropolitan league.