Deacons Stop Puritan Team As Eliot Wins

Kirkland rallied to stop Winthrop, 18 to 6 yesterday afternoon on a muddy field, thus snapping the three-way tie for first place that had existed in the House football league. Meanwhile, Eliot primed for its playoff with the Deacons by blanking Dudley, 13-0.

Winthrop broke the ice in the first period when a pass from Dave Aloian to Pete Ways netted the only Puritan touchdown. However Kirkland evened the score in the first half on a pass play from Bob Snow to Jerry Glynn which covered about fifty yards.

The Deacons pushed the winning tallies over in the fourth period with Glynn bucking over for the touchdown.

Eliot started early and was never headed. Dave Wheeler scored on a short plunge in the first period and Roger Pugh added the extra point on a buck to give the Mastodons a 7-0 bulge. Although Dudley went over in the second quarter, the touchdown was called back because of an offside penalty. Then, in the final canto, the winners produced their second six-pointer when Jim Rossiter went off tackle from the ten.