Victory-Starved Crimson Digs In To Repulse Rampant Brown Bear

Bruins Flaunt Six-Game Streak

By Brown DAILY Herald) and John SWANTON (sports editor

A confident and determined attitude has pervaded Aldrich Field here in Providence as the Engle-coached Bruin football machine rounds out its final week of practice before the Harvard game today.

For ten years the Bruins have been unable to stop any Crimson eleven, but Brown now sports a six game winning streak which every man on the Bruin eleven is determined to increase this afternoon. Injuries have just about disappeared on the Brown team and every first string squad member is in top shape for the skirmish with the exception of Captain Norm lacuelo, who has been out all season with a torn knee ligament. Quarterback Ed Finn and end Ted Hendrick have been named by Coach Engle as the game co-captains for today's tussle.

Unporous Defense

The Bruins have come through with some sterling defensive play this season and at present are ranked fifth nationally in pass defense. They are also fifth in the nation on total defense, permitting only 66 points to be scored against them this year. No team has scored more than six points against Brown since the Princeton game on October 2. On offense the Bears have tallied 188 points through the air and on the ground.

Aerial Hope Is Finn

Finn, Bethelem, Pa., senior, has tossed eight touchdown passes and picked up 673 yards via the air. Chuck Nelson, halfback flanker in the Engle wing T version of the standard T formation, has been the best receiver of Finn's passes but Frank Mahoney, an end, has been valuable as a decoy when not on the receiving end of the Finn aerials.

Best Team Since '32

Not since 1932 has Brown had such an outstanding team as the present aggregation, but there is no one man on the squad responsible for success. It has rather been a team job all the way and the Bruins' replacements like Joe Paterno at quarterback, Jim DiDomencio at halfback, Don Colo at tackle, and John Scott and Ed Kiely alternating at center have been invaluable to the 1948 campaign.