Yale Game Films Alter Opinions Of Who Were Outstanding Stars

Hyde, Davis Show Up As Surfeit Heroes

By Donald Carswell

Davey Nelson narrated the Harvard Yale movie at the New Lecture Hall three-fourth full of people last night, and made many morning papers of November 30 look sick in the bargain. It appeared very blatantly that a quick reshuffling of accolades is necessary before this H-Y can be reduced to pure history.

First of all, the ever-truthful films dwelt lovingly on the play of sophomore end Dike Hyde. Twice Nelson stopped the film to point out Hyde as the latter disposed of up to three Yales at a clip. His offensive work was almost flawless.

Davis Takes Out Four

But as for the widely-publicized Hyde block on Moille's touchdown run, well it wasn't true. The only spectacular one that this observer noted was thrown by Will Davis, who personally disposed of four defenders in the course of the play. This Davis, by the way, turned in as fine an afternoon of football as anybody.

Offensive quarterback Bill Henry also came in for his share of glory with his powerful blocking on Roche's end sweeps.

Another surprise was the fine defensive work of halfback Jim Kenary, and the amazing agility of Kenny O'Donnell, considering he had a broken leg. As for Houston, the local papers were right--he made tremendous offensive blocks and fouled up innumerable Yale plays by taking out the interference, the ball-carrier or both.

Most Yardage on Two Plays

Harvard gained most of its yardage on but two plays: the wingback reverse and the tailback-around-strong-side-end. Davey Nelson explained that the Crimson inside game was failing, but that the outside game made up for it. Both big gain plays were outside the tackles. Nelson went on to show one reason why the outside and not the inside game was working. The Eli backers-up consistently played in close behind the line.

An evening of watching the films proved one thing to nearly all present--even if you had good seats, you can't tell a thing about what really happened until after you see the movies.