New Year Will Mean End of All-Night Parking at College

Cambridge police began an all-out drive yesterday to force College students to find a legal place to park their cars or else to leave them home after Christmas vacation, as rigid enforcement of parking ordinances was ordered at Central sq. headquarters.

Every car illegally parked on local streets this week will be tagged, the traffic bureau announced, and all out-of-state cars will definitely be towed away after their second violation, since their owners "have the habit of ignoring summonses."

Suggest Underground Garage

Traffic bureau officials urged the College to solve its own parking problems and specifically recommended construction of underground facilities for College car owners or at least use of the area around Memorial Hall, which could hold almost 200 automobiles.

The Cambridge city ordinance most frequently violated by students states:

"It shall be unlawful for the driver of any vehicle, other than one acting in an emergency, to park said vehicle in any street for a period of more than one hour between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. of any day."

City law also prohibits parking on the left side of any one-way street, upon any sidewalk, upon any crosswalk, more than one feet from the curb, less than ten feet from a fire hydrant, or in front of any private road or driveway.